Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sam's "Big Boy" Quilt

Since he is going to be a big brother and is getting a new room and twin bed, I figured his 36"x42" baby quilt wasn't going to cut it anymore.  So I made my sweet boy a "big boy" quilt.  The plaids are almost all from deconstructed thrift store shirts, a la Bonnie Hunter.  There are two small pieces that I bought to finish out those last few squares. 
The blocks are 6"x6" and 6"x9" finished, laid out alternating.  I originally was just going to outline quilt each one, but it wasn't enough, so I added more, and then more until it felt right.  The quilting is not perfect, and the basting wasn't either.  The backing fabric has a homespun feel to it and stretched some, so there are a couple spots where it bunched when I was quilting.  (Boo!)  But it is done, and I figure being my son I'll have another chance to make him a quilt. 

I do love the backing and especially the binding fabrics - I found them at my local quilt shop.  I took the top in and played with several fabrics against it.  I always end up finding the perfect combos there, and they are always the most unexpected. 
The quilt finishes at about 75"x96" - definitely big enough for his new twin bed.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mudroom Closet

Last Christmas I did a quick and dirty "mud closet" by our back door - took the bi-fold doors off and installed a rough bench.  Well, it was getting used as a dumping ground for all kinds of random stuff, and with no hooks it wasn't working well.  I originally wanted to ditch the closet entirely and build in a mud bench, but that is not happening anytime in the foreseeable future, so I resolved to redo my first attempt into something a little nicer looking.

I took a day off work and my sis, who was home from college on Christmas break, helped me get the closet demoed, reworked, and painted all in a day.  And although there are now coats hanging up and Hubby hates putting his shoes in a basket, it still is looking fairly decent today.

We added legs as additional support for the bench (it's screwed into studs but I am paranoid).
 Painted the existing shelves that are on the left side . . .
 Added hooks for coats.  One day I'll probably add a second shelf up top - the supports are already there and it would be good extra storage for out-of-season hats and accessories.
We didn't take any progress shots as we worked on some other proejcts as well during the course of the day.  But here's a before and after from when the day we got the keys until now:

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christmas Pillows

Catch up installment #2:
Christmas Pillows & A Potholder

 Drop cloth pillow, 12"x16", Noel image done using iron on transfer paper.  I used the finished edge on the back to hide the zipper closure. 

Noel pillow #2 - printed image out, taped it to the window, and traced with a fine-tip Sharpie.  Then filled in with a Sharpie paint pen, set with a hot iron, and washed to make sure it wouldn't bleed.  Same drop cloth material and zipper on the back.
Double potholder - made using parts of several tutorials, but mostly this one from A Little Gray.  I did use a dish towel purchased from Wal-Mart, Insul-Bright, and batting as layers.  And regular double fold bias tape.  I quilted around each shape on the two hand pockets and quilted straight lines on the middle portion.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Catch Up

I'm a horrible blogger, but whatever.  I'm 30 weeks pregnant with a house in chaos, a 3-yr old, a husband who is either at work or working on our family farm, and a month of holidays just behind me. 

So let's play a little catch up with what all I've been doing since Thanksgiving:

First up - Christmas Presents:
Doll Clothes for American Girl Dolls

Fleece hoodie from Simplicity 4297 - definitely need a stretch fabric for this - I had to add some contrasting fabric for the cuffs and waistband (didn't want a double layer of fleece there), but I think next time I would just lengthen sleeves and shirt to eliminate the extra pieces.  And I had to modify the front neckline to get it over the doll's head - so that was not great.  But it ended up looking cute.
Also with the hoodie - jeans from Simplicity 5333 - made from dark wash stretch denim - these fit great and were super easy to sew up. 
Raglan sleeve top from Simplicity 5733 - I would cut everything a hair bigger than printed, it was just a tad tight.  I used an old tank top from my clothing stash for the fabric.
Drawstring Dress from Heritage Doll Fashions found on Liberty Jane.  Very easy pillowcase-type dress made up in a seersucker. 
Ring Collar Dress from Doll Duds found on Liberty Jane - would not recommend silk shantung and taffeta . . . it was a bit of a pain.  And I'd make all the pieces a tad larger just to give more ease.  I definitely want to make this again in a regular cotton instead of tight and slippery fabrics.
Close up of the bodice - it's not perfect, but it's done.
 Next catch up installment coming soon . . . promise.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...