Thursday, January 10, 2013

Mudroom Closet

Last Christmas I did a quick and dirty "mud closet" by our back door - took the bi-fold doors off and installed a rough bench.  Well, it was getting used as a dumping ground for all kinds of random stuff, and with no hooks it wasn't working well.  I originally wanted to ditch the closet entirely and build in a mud bench, but that is not happening anytime in the foreseeable future, so I resolved to redo my first attempt into something a little nicer looking.

I took a day off work and my sis, who was home from college on Christmas break, helped me get the closet demoed, reworked, and painted all in a day.  And although there are now coats hanging up and Hubby hates putting his shoes in a basket, it still is looking fairly decent today.

We added legs as additional support for the bench (it's screwed into studs but I am paranoid).
 Painted the existing shelves that are on the left side . . .
 Added hooks for coats.  One day I'll probably add a second shelf up top - the supports are already there and it would be good extra storage for out-of-season hats and accessories.
We didn't take any progress shots as we worked on some other proejcts as well during the course of the day.  But here's a before and after from when the day we got the keys until now:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...