Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Gypsy Wife Quilt Along - August LinkUp!

Update: I'm spending the evening watching my beloved Hokies play, but I had to drop in for a quick update during halftime to announce that the GWQAL winner for July is Jeanie!  I hope you enjoy your goodies!

Greetings!  This month is my turn to host the Gypsy Wife Quilt-Along link party!  If you’re just tuning in, we are making the fabulous Gypsy Wife quilt by Jen Kingwell following the schedule put together by Michelle at Factotum of Arts.  Our Flickr group is here.

I’ve been loving every minute of this quilt-along.  I know that hasn’t been the case with everyone – the pattern could be written more clearly, and there have been some understandable frustrations along the way.  But take heart; we are on the downhill slope now!

My big tip for this quilt?  Press seams open (most of the time) and starch!  I love starch (or Magic Sizing) and wish I had discovered it a long time ago.  

Hopefully this month’s blocks were a little easier on everyone.  No tricky math this time.  I’ll admit I was lazy and eyeballed the diagonals.  If I had been a good child I would have marked my diagonals before stitching.  Meh. 

The main block was Indian Hatchet.  I meant to take pictures as I sewed, but the basement quilt cave has sucky lighting (and some nights I just don’t have the extra energy after wrestling my boys to bed).  

The other blocks were eight more 3-inch (finished) square in a square blocks.  We should be pros at these now, no?  It would have been smart to center those big polka dots.  Next time.  I'm too impatient to think of things like that when the fabric's flying.
And now to the linky and prizes.  This month’s giveaway is provided by two of our own.  
Julie from 627 Handworks is donating a Fat Eighth bundle of Cotton + Steel Basics (Netorious print), and Michelle at Factotum of Arts is donating a Hexagon pack of Figures by Zen Chic for Moda.  
 

Now link up those August blocks (all nine)!  You can either link to your blog post or, if you don’t have a blog, link up a picture of your blocks from Flickr.  The giveaway will stay open through 11:55pm on September 1st, and I'll randomly select a winner.


3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love the color scheme of your Indian Hatchet block. Fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the mix of blues you've got going in all your blocks. Very nice. I think my favourite is that one with the Kaffe Fassett print in pink and blue. I have that print in a different colour and can never figure out how/where to use it, but I really like it in this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...